Guimarães 2012 European Capital of Culture official logo was designed by João Campos, who is the winner of the logo design contest promoted by Fundação Cidade de Guimarães and Centro Português de Design.
Bachelors in Communication or Graphic Design Design Offices, Communication or Graphic Design OfficesMembers of CPD (the Portuguese Design Centre) and APD (the Professional Association of Portuguese Designers).
STAGE 1 – CANDIDACY SUBMISSION
5th and 6th of April 2010
Ninety candidates competed, by submitting CV and portfolio. Ten candidates were selected (both offices and individual designers), moving into Stage 2.
STAGE 2 - CONCEPT PRESENTATION
29th and 30th of April 2010
Presentation of the first concepts, on a rigid A2 format (maximum of two proposals per candidate).
The 10 selected candidates:
- Daniel Camacho, designer
- Flúor, design office
- Francisco Providência, designer
- GBNT, design office
- Guilherme Jardim Oliveira, designer
- Joana Oliveira, designer
- João Campos, designer
- MIEW, design office
- Miguel Palmeiro, designer
- P-06, design Office
STAGE 3 - PROPOSALS PRESENTATION
14th of June 2010
The proposals should be displayed on a rigid A3 format, containing the color version, the black and white version with its negative, as well as image resizing versions (reduction and magnification) and its applications in the following formats:
- Letterheads (A4)
- Envelope (DL)
- Visiting Card
- Press Advertisement
- HTML Layout
- Other bases
The 5 selected candidates:
23rd of June 2010
The jury selected the proposal of the designer João Campos.
ASSESSMENT OF APPLICATIONS
The proposals submitted to the contest were object of a preliminary analysis and selection in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages, which were validated by Fundação Cidade de Guimarães and by a Technical Committee, composed of 5 elements:
- Henrique Cayatte, President of Centro Português de Design
- Ana Rocha, designer, on behalf of APD (the Professional Association of Portuguese Designers).
- Eduardo Aires, designer
- João Nunes, designer
- Amilcar Correia, journalist
The ultimate decision was taken by a jury composed of the following elements:
- Cristina de Azevedo – Fundação Cidade de Guimarães
- Bernardina Álvares Ribeiro – Fundação Cidade de Guimarães
- João Serra – Fundação Cidade de Guimarães
- Henrique Cayatte – Centro Português de Design
- António Modesto, designer
- Designer Carlos Rocha, designer
- Pedro Albuquerque, designer